It is important that you care for your mouth after your tooth has been extracted. Please follow our care instructions, as they will help you heal properly and without complications. Call The Renton Dentist at (425) 226-3192 to schedule your follow-up appointment with our dentist, Dr. Kevin Huynh and learn more about post-tooth extraction care in Renton, Washington.
After you have had a tooth extracted, you will have an initial healing period of one to two weeks. You will probably experience some swelling and discomfort for the first 48 hours.
We recommend that you:
- Avoid chewing for at least two hours or until the anesthetic wears off
- Use an ice pack to decrease swelling
- Do not touch the extraction site with your tongue or fingers
- Do not drink through a straw or swish and spit vigorously
- Try to avoid blowing your nose or sneezing violently
- Do not rinse your mouth the day or surgery
- Do not smoke or use tobacco products for several days following the extraction
- Relax as much as possible, avoid all strenuous activities for the first 24 hours after your procedure and keep your head elevated
- Maintain a soft diet for 48 hours